Monday, March 9, 2009

Lent 2007

With some guidelines, and a lot of creativity, I managed to produce only this much garbage in my 40-day Lenten journey.

For Lent a couple years ago, I gave up garbage. I know that sounds like a crazy, impossible undertaking, but Lent, for me, is about pushing yourself, re-evaluating, putting your existence into a greater context, a context in which Christ chose you to save. So I did some thinking, set some goals and some helpful guidelines, and got myself a garbage bag.
Guidelines included:
  • Produce as little garbage as possible
  • All garbage (defined as non-recyclable, non-reusable) must go into The Bag*
  • The Bag must be carried at all times and serves to a) motivate me to produce no waste, b) stimulate conversation with others who can learn about protecting the planet
  • *the exception is Biohazard. Anything that would cause illness to myself or others had to be disposed of properly (i.e. composted, flushed)

Things I learned to do:

  • always take reusable bags to retail and grocery stores
  • re-use plastic produce bags
  • buy in bulk (less packaging then)
  • buy from Farmers Markets (easier to bring-your-own-bag and cut down on packaging)
  • take tupperware to restaurants to avoid styrofoam
  • ask cinema concession workers to put your popcorn in that bag I brought from home
  • stop using q-tips :(
  • ask relatives NOT to gift wrap my bridal shower gifts...awkward, but necessary and rewarding
  • take a towel into a public restroom to avoid using paper towels
  • use a hankie
  • buy the item that is most biodegradable or least packaged
  • compost, compost, compost (and worms are your best friends)
  • take only what you can eat
  • Never, ever, ever drink bottled water
  • don't buy new stuff; buy used! or swap crap with your friends! Think about it: You can probably share luggage or a lawnmower...why does every household "need" one?

I also spent a lot of time reading up on recycling, landfills, scarce resources...educating myself helped me educate others, gave me lots of food for thought, and made me appreciate the things I have, and freed me from wanting (most of) the things I don't. Admittedly, I still love receiving re-usable grocery bags. I like having a variety to choose from when shopping.

No comments: